Lectio Divina in Proverbs 2

Silence: My answers come from my questions.

Meditation: Who put my questions where I find them?

Prayer: Do You put questions within me?

Lectio: For the simple are killed by their turning away,
and the complacency of fools destroys them;
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” ~ Proverbs 2:32-33

Contemplation: Knowing when to do, and not, can cost me dearly.

Oration: The simple are killed; fools are destroyed.  Simplicity and foolishness seemed like so much fun? Ignorance is bliss, until it's deadly.  Listening delivers a promissory note for life, ease and peace.  Obedience, the proof of hearing, is impossible to pull off without bodily demonstrations: move, stop, read, think, go, give, listen, speak, pray, sleep, wait, work, rest, serve, promise, remember, wipe, plant, harvest, write. The simple turn away from such words because truly who likes them?  I like complacency; does the complacency of the clever keep them from doing too much?  Maybe, maybe not.

Incarnation: Hear the voice of wisdom from the scriptures.  Listen to the words.  Put my socks and shoes on to do what they tell me to do.  Repeat, so I might dwell securely, at ease without dread of disaster.

Example on Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 16:53 PST:
I awoke in June mumbling about flood insurance.  Random.  A dry basement tempted complacent dismissal of errant thinking.  In prayer, I heard the voice of wisdom telling me to move.  Without a drop of water in view, I shared developments with Naudia, and we paid the equivalent of an entire paycheck for coverage.  Though it cost, we obeyed.  Taking random thoughts into the prayer room does avoid foolish expenditures.  Hearing "buy" in the prayer room and not obeying is a bad idea.

For the simple are killed by their turning away,
and the complacency of fools destroys them;
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.

Comments

Popular Posts