Hitting the Target

Skeet is a form of trapshooting in which clay targets are thrown to duplicate the angles of flight among winged prey.  Hitting clay targets is a process of elimination.  Spectators, anxiety, weather and equipment are obstacles to overcome.  Skeet shooting is a process of elimination.

Spectators have to be eliminated from a shooter's view.  Safety requires a firing line to seperate the competitor from the rest.  Focusing the shooter's attention on the field protects those around her.  Reducing spectators' footprint increases a shooter's ability to focus.    

God as Bullseyes: A shooter has one goal, dead center.  I have one goal: Making much of God through obedience.
People as Circles: Missing dead center is common; so is pleasing people.  Hitting circles is only celebratory in relation to the center.
Me as Shooter: Nothing is moving during the shot except me and the wind.  Missing center is no one's fault but mine.
Results as Score: How do I know if God is pleased except by watching.  How do I know if people are pleased except by watching.  I'm going to hit what I'm watching.
Worship as Strategy: Keeping my eyes on the Lord is worship.  Keeping my eyes on people is idolatry.  Worship is a strategy to hit the bullseye.
Sacrifice as Sacrifice: To hit center, I have to surrender everything else: circles, spectators, everything.  To love God, I have to sacrifice everything else.

Jesus died for people but hit my bullseye when I realized he came for me.  Result is my grateful worship and sacrificial lifestyle.  Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."
Luke 9:23 NIV
http://bible.com/111/luk.9.23.NIV

Bullseyes are hardest, and most importantly, hit at center.  Circles surrounding center remind spectators there is still work to do.  Hitting center leaves no questions to ask.  Focusing on God in my life puts me at center and focusing on people reminds I still have work to do.

The work I do, as a pastor, is with people.  Seeking approval is an occupational hazard.  When I seek approval from God, I hit center.  When I seek approval from people, I miss.  There is one God, many people.  My opportunities to mess up are more numerous than my opportunity to win.  Bullseyes are hardest, and most importantly, hit at center.

Winning the center is a process of elimination.  Nothing else can matter if the target is to be achieved. 

Comments

Popular Posts