You Have To Touch It

Silence: You have to touch it.

Meditation: The Word became flesh and dwelled among us. (John 1:14)

Prayer: Breathe on me Holy Spirit.

Lectio: When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. (I Samuel 17:35b)

Contemplation: He had to touch it.

Oration: David knew how lions and bears smelled.  Wild predators have an odor; breath tinged by carnivorous diets.  To be close enough to "seize it by its hair" is to be close enough to smell its breath.
 
David was close enough to Goliath to kill him.  There was an odor associated.  A Crime Scene Investigator brought the odor to my awareness.  "When I walk into a house, I can tell if it's bloody, if brains have been exposed, by the smell."  Before he sees anything he smells.  Blood, brains and breath have odors.  So do problems and possibilities.

I need to be close enough to problems and possibilities to smell them, not just see them.  Family, tenants, partners, cops and readers bring problems and possibilities.  I need to recognize how they smell.

Incarnation: Emphasize a ministry of presence through bodily service to family, tenants, cops and ministry partners.  Show up everyday.

Comments

Popular Posts