Psalm 127: Perennial Pursuits

17Oct08

Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain...(Ps 127:1)

Psalm 127 and 128 tell the story of adult pursuits: the house built, the city established, the work pursued, the children born, the enemies addressed, the grandchildren wished.  My adult pursuits are wrapped into these psalms.  We have a house, children, a city and work.  Hadn't thought much about it but I'm hoping to see my children's children.  These Psalms speak to me.  Psalm 126 too! (seeds and harvest)

They also remind me that I may be doing all mentioned in the texts more than once: planting perennially; building seasonally; guarding the city perpetually; raising the children constantly.  Ps 127:2 reminds me that I'm going to need my sleep.  It isn't all accomplished at once but it is all able to be done with the help of the Lord.

I am called to do what God has already done.  The only plan of God I know is found in the Word of God (the Bible).  What if there's more than I know about?  There may be but as a Christian I believe my standard is canon. 

Comments

Popular Posts