In This Way: Consistent Innovation

Scripture:
Laban said to [Jacob], "Just because you're a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing?  Tell me what your wages should be." Genesis 29:15

"He added, "Name your wages, and I will pay them." (Gen 30:28)

"What shall I give you?" he asked.  (Gen 30:31)

Observation:
Jacob's response to the same question changed over time.
Jacob first heard the question as a bachelor.
He heard the question again as a married father of eleven sons,
Jacob was invited to write his own ticket.
His responses changed over time.
The last response changed everything, "You don't have to give me a thing..." (Gen 30:31)
Instead of wages, he tied his income to percent of effort.

Application
Reread these words in negotiation with a church over salary adjustments
Had been receiving a salary for 8 years
Began raising support less than 2 years before rereading
Already had a successful support-based project completed and was working on another
Learned that I needed to say the church, "You don't have to give me a thing..."
My response changed everything...in less than 6 months I was tendering my resignation

Prayer: I hear Your Word and like Laban's words to Jacob, it is the same.  I am, like Jacob, changing with each hearing.  Thank you for asking the same questions while I morph under your inquiries.

Notes:
Over time he saw that he was outclassed by the person posing the question.  Though he was able to set his price, Jacob wasn't able to get ahead

Mice crave warmth and food.  Wherever people are warming and nourishing themselves, mice may appear.  They want what most mammals want and are unapologetic in their pursuits. Dealing with mice requires innovation.

An industry thrives on finding new ways to keep warmth and food out of the reach of demanding mammals.   Pest control companies are in demand

Comments

  1. Negotiations for salaries seem easier when the employee has other work options and/or the resources to just walk away. However it appears that many people in this country don't have that luxury so they stay at jobs they dislike. Therefore it's no surprise that most heart attacks occur on Mondays and the least on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your enduring streams of consciousness is reflected in your comment. Thank you for taking a ride through my thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts