In This Way: Knowing When to Get Out

"After Rachel gave birth to Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, "Send me on my way so I can go back to my own homeland.  Give me my wives and children for whom I have served you, and I will be on my way.  You know how much work I've done for you...Then Jacob put his children and his wives on camels, and he drove all his livestock ahead of him along with the goods he had accumulated in Paddan Aram, to go to his father Isaac in the land of Canaan.""  ~ Gen 30: 25-26, 31:17-18

Observations:

  • Jacob had a tipping point to signal his exit
  • He followed customs and culture initially
  • Jacob formed a small business within a business
  • He worked his business until another tipping point (Gen 31: 1-2)
  • Prayer was included in his decision to leave (Gen 31:3)
  • Obedience was a tipping point
    • Then the Lord said to Jacob, "Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you." 31:3
  • Clear familial communication was part of his decision (Gen 31:4-16)
    • no surprises for wives
    • no violation of confidentiality (Gen 31:27)
    • Laban's daughters picked husband over father (Gen 31: 14-16)
    • family planned the work and worked the plan
  • Jacob has a definite destination upon departure
  • Family was important within and beyond a cultural context
  • Jacob hadn't seen his family for 20 years but still felt he had someplace to go
  • He knew when to get out
Applications:
  • When it's time to get out, there will be tipping points
    • Howard - no more money
    • Peace Corps - no more opportunities
    • Hopkins - no more money
    • Second Baptist - a church offering pastorate
    • University Baptist - 
      • roof repair more important than souls
      • unwillingness to raise money for things, not people
      • ten years of service a sufficient gift
      • prayer and rereading journals
      • family discussions
      • running a business with in a business (Connection at UBC)
      • support raising awareness and DMin in hand
    • Reliant - there will be tipping points
    • Lansing Police - there will be tipping points
    • Real Estate - there will be tipping points
  • When it's time to get out, listen to the Lord first, then people
  • Asking for permission isn't working from the inside out
    • Lord - self - wife - children - enterprises - family - citizenry
  • Pray, talk to Sweet and communicate clearly what I'm doing next
Prayer: Thank You for uncovering Jacob's life.  I am learning that nothing is permanent except Your love.  I'll have to get out of every good and bad thing I'm in.  Will You give me wisdom to know when to get out so they don't have to carry me out?  I'd like to leave with all You've meant for me to steward, even if there's no party at my departure, in Jesus' name, amen.

Comments

  1. Change in the form of exiting a position can be very challenging so we need to pray for wisdom to know when it's time and the courage to follow thru with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenging indeed...Jacob saw, and I'm seeing, the value of consulting with spouse.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts