In This Way: Successful Patterns

This is the account of Jacob.  Joseph, a young man of seventeen, was tending the flocks with his brothers, the sons of Bilhah and the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives, and he brought their father a bad report about them.   ~ Genesis 37:2

Observations:

  • Bilhah and Zilpah were slaves to a set of sisters
  • Slaves were called wives too
  • Not all wives were the same
  • Bilhah and Zilpah were used for involuntary child birth
    • Bilhah was Rachel's slave offered to Jacob
    • Zilpah was Leah's  slave offered to Jacob
    • Neither volunteered but were volunteered
  • Bilhah had two boys (Dan, Naphtali)
  • Zilpah had two boys (Gad and Asher)
  • Joseph was tending the flocks with his half brothers
  • Joseph told on his half brothers
  • Jacob had four "wives"
    • Leah, mother of six boys and a girl (Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun and Dinah)
    • Bilhah, mother of two
    • Zilpah mother of two
    • Rachel, mother of two (Joseph and Benjamin)
  • Joseph was the youngest son of Jacob tending the flocks
  • All the boys, except Joseph, were old enough to help Jacob tend flocks "In This Way"
  • Sons may have been part of the exit strategy from Padam Aram
  • They had memories of Joseph's birth and Jacob's secret departure
  • Four sons probably knew how to shave the almond branches and breed sheep / goats
  • Family dynamic for Joseph was complicated
  • Joseph telling his dreams produced hatred and jealousy
  • Joseph's written dreams outlasted his telling
  • "This is the account" occurs ten time in Genesis
  • Joseph probably learned how to tend the flocks from older brothers who learned from Jacob
  • Jacob's love for Joseph skipped older brothers
  • Genesis shows little that was extraordinary about Joseph except his dreams
  • Potiphar may have seen godliness and work ethic Joseph learned while tending flocks
Applications:
  • Overcoming difficulties prepares us for future assignments / opportunities / challenges
  • Joseph didn't know Potiphar's name, nor do I know the names of people I will encounter
  • There is little extraordinary about me other than Biblical interpretation
  • Despised men and women in my life have much to teach me
  • Interactions require a closed mouth and open eyes and ears
  • Despised / disadvantaged populations have been through things I haven't 
  • I can and need to learn how to escape "Laban's" clutches
    • we had nothing
    • then your daddy...
    • then we started helping him to...
    • you were just a baby
  • Just because I'm learning from people doesn't mean I can trust people
  • My writing will outlast my telling
  • Write more than I speak
  • Work silently more than working with spoken words
  • Can anyone see God is with me and giving success to what I do (not say?)
Prayer: Thank You for turning my gaze toward the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah in my life.  I can learn much from them, although our interactions are complicated.  Learning from and trusting are not the same things.  I can learn from them while trusting You.  Thank You for stirring up the names of men and women from whom I need to learn lessons for an uncertain future, in Jesus' name, amen.

Notes:
E. Nevada cousins
Sheep Dogs
Chapel on S. Cedar regularly
Highlander chaplain
etc

Comments

  1. I'm very thankful that the Bible is not 66 books of entertainment but it's replete with lessons that can help us grow in innumerable ways if only we would stop and pay attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts