In This Way: Steady Plodding

SOAP in Genesis 31

Scripture:

"I have been with you for twenty years now.  Your sheep and goats have not miscarried, nor have I eaten rams from your flocks....This was my situation: the heat consumed me in the daytime and the cold at night and sleep fled from my eyes.  It was like this for the twenty years I was in your household.  I worked for you fourteen years for your two daughters and six years for your flocks and you changed my wages ten times." ~ Genesis 31: 38, 40-41

Observations:

  • It took six years of steady plodding "In This Way" to build Jacob's flock
  • Jacob left Laban when a few things aligned
    • his flocks and herds increased (31: 1-2)
    • The Lord released him (31:3)
    • His family approved (31: 14-16)
  • Alignment for his departure was a process over time
  • Jacob suffered while he steadily plodded
  • Jacob found a system that worked (30:43) and kept working it
  • While working, Jacob overcame obstacles
  • While suffering, he was able to remember his "why"
Applications:
  • I've raised support since 2015
  • It's taken a while to be able to respond to call and eat
    • responding to call is serving because the Lord beckons
    • eating is being able to take care of my family while serving
    • often I've served but had nothing to give my family
  • We've found a system that works but it requires work
  • Keeping working patiently as a missionary until released
  • Nothing happens all at once but steady plodding brings prosperity
  • Get to 100% of support level plus the buffer
Prayer: Without the frustrations of his father-in-law, a barren first love, cold, heat and predators stealing sheep / goats, Jacob would not have worked "In this way" (Gen 30:43).  I see a little more excellently why inconveniences, trouble and embarrassments come.  They're Your goads and spurs to stand people up and bring us to act.  As Jacob got himself together, without everyone liking it, so do I need to get myself together without everyone liking it.  Thank you for giving us all the pieces we need to evangelize, mobilize and disciple first responders and the communities we serve as fully funded missionaries.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts