Lectio Divina

Lectio Divina is a Latin phrase meaning "holy reading".  Lectio is a spiritual practise; a strategy for listening to God.  Participants read scripture with a humble openness to God's mystery.  We read, listen, pray, contemplate and act.

I was first introduced to Lectio in Estes Park, CO at the 2008 National Gathering of American Baptist Youth.  The lecturer explained a way, not the way, to proceed.  Her steps included:

  1. Silencio: Letting the silt in our hearts settle;
  2. Lectio: Reading a text of one or several verses with an open heart;
  3. Meditatio: The act of pondering things in our hearts;
  4. Oratio: Prayer as the response of an open heart that hears God's voice;
  5. Contemplatio: Silently resting in God's presence;
  6. Incarnatio: Living out the Word shown to us.
I began reading in 2008 and have benefited.  Along the way, I learned why a way, not the way, was important.  I've harbored all of the pieces of her process but use them as a left-handed poet ought.

Our Estes Park lecturer let me into a quiet space of reflection.  As she opened a door for me, I hope this blog opens a door for others.

Comments

Popular Posts