One Long Day

Silence: There are snow sleds under the bed.

Meditation:  I write in a walk-in closet.  Sleds once knew children's laughter.  Ties once drew my employer's compliment.  Suiits once made first impressions.  They're now motionless witnesses.

Prayer: Thank you for slowing me down and helping me see how unimportant things really are.

Lectio: Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom. (Psalm 90:12)

Contemplation: A dying father told his son that his life felt like one long day.  In the morning he was born; by noon he'd married his wife, raise the children in the afternoon and enjoyed retirement at sunset.  On his death bed, the minute hand was rising to midnight: one long day.

Oration: I only get one shot.  Forgetting makes me start sentences with "I should've"  Moses in Psalm 90 confesses that the life of faith isn't always spectacular.  Verse 16 states flatly, "Let us see your majesty again; let our children see your glory at work."  Perhaps this was penned after teenagers groaned at another telling of the Red Sea story.  The evidence of miracles - artifacts in the ark - whispered as ties, suits and sleds whisper to me now.  They speak of days of old.  Moses' youth may have wanted what I want: a fresh move of God.

Incarnation: Work on the doctoral thesis today after praying Psalm 90 again.

Comments

Popular Posts