Working Smarter, Not Harder

Lectio Divina in Psalm 127

Silence: Work bubbles to the surface first.  I wait for the fizz to settle.  If I drink fizz, I choke, belch and am unrefreshed.

Meditation: Drinking bubbles is vanity; foolishly chasing the wind.

Prayer: Make my pursuits useful, oh God.

Lectio: It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.  (Psalm 127:2)

Contemplation: A physician training residents said, "We should never work harder than the patients."  I don't know if the doctor was right or not but Psalm 127:2 turns that philosophy on its ear.  God is the physician and gives us, not the expectation of working harder, but of accepting rest.  If God gives rest and working hard is useless, why work?

Oration: God gives rest to His loved ones when God is placed first.  Unless God works before I work, my work is useless.  Unless God works before I work, I'm up early and late without anything to show for my efforts.

When God works before I work, my labor is not in vain; there isn't as much work to do; I rest in the assurance of God's finished work.

Incarnation: I will let God work before I work.

Comments

Popular Posts