In This Way: Overcoming Obstacles

14Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I have never defiled myself.f From my youth up till now I have never eaten what died of itself or was torn by beasts, nor has tainted meat come into my mouth.” ~ Ez 4:14

Observations:

  • In distress, Ezekiel called a name of the Lord and stated the facts
  • He revisited his experience up to the point of tension
  • History was important to him
  • Ezekiel's family probably played a role in his piety
  • Effort toward holiness mattered
    • there was much Ezekiel could control
    • "Never" is quite a word
    • had to know the law to make v.14 true
  • Only time Ezekiel speaks in entire chapter
  • God speaks for 16 verses, Ezekiel for 1 verse
  • The Lord listened to Ezekiel and changed the plan
    • bake cakes with human dung (v12)
    • eat bread that is unclean (v13)
    • name of Lord and facts (v14)
    • change of plan (v15)
  • Ezekiel reminded God of what he requires (Lev 11)
  • Proclamation and facts are not a "no"
  • Prophet found a way to say "no" without using the word
Applications:
  • Continue finding ways to say "no" without using the word
  • Call on the names of the Lord and state a fact
    • be succinct 
    • listen more than I speak
  • Memorize scripture to rehearse in good times and bad
  • Stay active in prayer life
  • Remember most of the words and deeds others consume begin in solitude
  • Maintain habit of solitude
  • Write what I hear same day I hear
  • Maintain confidence that God hears me
  • God is sovereign and my effort matters
  • Remember my history in dealing with present difficulties
  • Write more than I speak
  • Listen more than I write
    • pray in solitude on shifts (1-2 hours at a time)
    • read widely and on shifts (1-2 hours at a time)
      • biographies
      • history
      • theology
      • fiction
  • Leverage balance of Lenten season 
    • prayer shifts (1-2 hours)
    • fasting using Kingsley A. Fletcher's Prayer and Fasting
I can't write and talk.  Multitasking isn't an option.  To write, I have to say "No".  I also need to simplify how I start writing.  Too many moving parts complicate things.  Keep it simple and eliminate obstacles to self.
  
Prayer:  Thank You for taking me deeper into Your Word.  Overcoming obstacles has less to do with my effort and more to do with the ratio of Word to words.  I will call Your name and state facts rather than saying "no".  You found a solution to Ezekiel's call of Your name and statement of facts.  You fixed it, not him.  If anything is going to be fixed, it's going to be by You, not me.  

A ratio of Your Word to my words preserves me to obey in unique ways.  Thank You for placing me in a space where I can write more than I speak and listen more than I write.

Comments

  1. The Bible has many verses that discuss how problematic the tongue can be. This passage reminded me that when I feel the need to use my tongue/words, instead I need to just turn to the Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see you turning to the Word and follow your example with gratitude.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts