the up side

A successful mid-Michigan CEO, at the end of his career, took my family to dinner and gave us access to his wealth of experience.  I asked him how he made his fortune and his very generous response is the backbone of a writing project.  It is sin for me to continue benefiting from Allan's words and not share.  I write in obedience to the Holy Spirit.

I believe the Spirit of God brought me into contact with Barb and Allen; their insights have changed everything.  They took time with a simpleton and a simpleton is taking the time to write down what they said. Allen's secret to success is getting up, cleaning up and showing up. He said if you can get up and clean up and show up the battle is half won. I took him at his word and began paying closer attention to the times I woke up, to the ways I was preparing for the day (cleaning up) and what time I was showing up.

When I began watching how I get up, clean up and show up, a "Now What?" erupted.  The Upside is answer I offer.

Now comes the work of the Holy Spirit. God has assignments for each of us and they are as varied as our names and physical features. My calling is different than the calling of the one reading this text. If we've all been made by God, we all have callings only God can issue. I believe God is calling me to write what comes after getting up, cleaning up and showing up.

After I get up clean up and show up I'm called to catch up, reach up and grow up. Catching up means that there's some stuff I just didn't finish yesterday but it still needs to get done. I don't get a pass, I don't get to make excuses.  If, I'm behind, I can't win a race, finish a project or recover from setbacks without catching up. Invariably there's something that has been undone during the night. 

A sick child, a lost set of keys and a flat tire are all opportunities to catch up. there are going to be saying things mad Sabotage momentum and keep me from accomplishing a goal. I can regret them or see you then or avoid them But regret and fear and avoidance are not going to get me where I need to go. I need to rather lean in and handle them as best I can because if I don't I'm going to be behind. When they show up they put me behind. It's my job to catch up.  When I show up not only do I have to catch up but I also have to reach up. 

There are some things I'm called to do that are over my head. They're out of reach, requiring me to stretch.  I have to reach up.

While reaching, I discover that I'm too short, too ignorant, too immature to apprehend.  I have to grow up if I'm going to apprehend.  I have to mature, grow a thicker skin and grow up.  There are growing pains but immaturity is an undesired alternative.  The Apostle Paul's words guide:
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.                             ~ Philippians 3:13-14
Whether I reach my goals or not, one day, I will be out of time.  My mortality is highlighted at the end of each day.  Allen's words have revealed a need to finish well by wrapping up, cleaning up and locking up.

Whatever I work on today needs to be wrapped up.  If I receive the gift of another day, I need to get ready by wrapping up the day before.  Tomorrow's catch up is simplified by today's wrap up.  Finishing well is a habit involving clean up.

If I've been doing anything worthwhile, I've made a little mess.  There'll be sawdust, egg shells, drafts that missed the trash can.  I need to clean up after myself.

I need to wrap up, clean up and lock up when I leave.

I was spurred to consider these truths by the Lord's use of Allen and Barb and I'm thankful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts