Lectio Divina: 09May10

Silence:

Meditation: What is in my trunk?

  • used backpack...donate
  • recyclable shopping bags...keep
  • spare tire...need WD40 to loosen screw
  • golf clubs...am playing today, even if it rains
  • fishing poles...May 19 collegiality group event
Prayer: Thank You for Your gift of rest in the Word

Lectio: ...for God gives rest to His loved ones ~ Ps 127:2b

Contemplation:  Accepting rest is a choice.

Oration: We are free to accept or reject God's gifts to us.  "Give" and "gift" appear twice in the Psalm; first associated with rest and next associated with children.  Professionals are getting little rest and waiting longer to have children.

Yesterday, I met CD.  He's a 56 year old professor with an infant daughter, just returning from a week in Colorado.  On the day of his return, he cut the grass and was mustering the strength to endure a violin recital.  "I'm tired" was his description of self.

I'm tired too; tired of carrying things I don't need.  My trunk is full of things that make me tired but taking God's rest requires choices.  Some things I have to donate; some I have to work on; some I have to use before I lose.  I am called in the text to give up burning the candle at both ends, my anxiety, my over-sized appetite and the pride of a job well done.  

Incarnation: Be a loved one...accept God's rest.  Sabbath is trusting God to run the world while I'm at rest. 

Comments

Popular Posts