Lectio Divina: 15Apr10

Silence: In the silence, I heard a train, a cat's silent entrance into this room and the sniffling of a child.

Meditation: Just as I began breathing deeply, the cat and child began to stir.  Despite their efforts, I am able to center myself in preparation to study verse 3.

Prayer: I am upset by many details.  Help me Lord to rediscover the one thing at Jesus' feet.

Lectio: Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.

Contemplation: (In silence...)

Oration: A man's gift makes room for him and brings him before the great.  Children are a gift from God.  Just as my gifts make room for me, God's gifts ought to make room in my life for Him.  I am an accuser of God.  His children in my life ensure no shame when He confronts me at the city gates.  His children teach me about humility, integrity and patience; faithfulness, punctuality and attention to detail; creativity, consistency and love.

They are the arrows in God's hands.  How many children does God have?  How blessed is He whose quiver is full of them?  He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the gates. 

I am an accuser of God.  In my freedom to chose, very often I choose badly and need to be confronted.  Who then do I confront?  No one.  Someone confronts me: God.

The confrontation happens in public; in the flesh.  God will not be put to shame when He confronts me at the city gates.  Why?  Because God's gifts of children have made room for God in my life.  The children soften me and challenge me, question me and confront me.  They are not mine but are rather a gift from God.  God's quiver is full...how blessed God is!

But the children are instruments of war against accusers. They're meant to bring the unruly one down to size.  I am unruly.  God uses children - biological, adopted, foster and spiritual - to confront me.

Incarnation: Welcoming the gift of children makes room for God in my accusatory life.  We need more children in this house to cut me down to size.  They measure twice and cut once. 

Comments

Popular Posts